Thursday, March 20, 2008

Jealous, See?

Sometimes I wish that I could have a friends-with-benefits relationship with the States. Y'know. I could still keep my Canadian status and use the word toque in public without fear of mockery. But then, when nobody was looking, I would have access to some Uhmerican goodies, too. Mainly their concerts... Because check this:

John Vanderslice and Stephen Malkmus are heading out on tour. Together. If that's not a dream team, I don't know what is.


I first heard about Vanderslice in the October 2005 reviews section of Harp magazine, where a mister Steven Rosen described JV's Pixel Revolt as a record that conjured "images of a young man of privelege afloat and day-dreaming in a backyard pool on a sunny day." **

So I was intrigued by one reviewer's descriptioon of John Vanderslice, and I checked him out. And I kind of loved his music in a big, real way. And it's been good times ever since.


Stephen Malkmus took a while to get to, though. I used to watch that Family show Radio Free Roscoe when it was on, and there was one episode where Lily [alias "Shady Lane"] talked about how the Pavement song [quelle supris!] "Shady Lane" is what made her want to learn to play guitar. Cool. So I got a hold of that song. And dug it. And then kinda forgot about it.

I don't know exactly when my fascination with Pavement kicked up, but at some point I guess I heard some more Pavement songs and finally it clicked: they are awesome. So that brings us to a couple months ago. I was now the owner of two Pavement records: Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain and Terror Twilight. Then I started tuning into the eltronic drone of internet buzz shrouding Malkmus' upcoming album, Real Emotional Trash. And once again stuff just clicked. Teh end.

So if you're lucky enough to be near one of the venues that will be opening their unworthy doors for the Vanderslice / Malkmus powerhaus, please do attend and allow me to live vicariously through you, you lucky bastard.

Left clicks, kids.

mp3's

JOHN VANDERSLICE

Me and My 424
The Mansion - The Life and Death of An American Fourtracker - 2002
Pale Horse - Cellar Door - 2004
Winter Light - MGM Endings: Cellar Door Remixes - 2004
Time to Go - Emerald City - 2007

STEPHEN MALKMUS

Jo Jo's Jacket
Jenny & The Ess-Dog - Stephen Malkmus - 2001
Dynamic Calories - Dark Wave - 2003
Mama - Face the Truth - 2005
Out of Reaches - Real Emotional Trash - 2008

Links etc.

JV's official site [full tour schedule]
A crapload of free and legal Vanderslice mp3's
Go buy some CD's.
SM's official site
And then buy some more.


Thanks for stopping by,
Alie

** I searched through the review sections of my music magazines for a good half an hour to find this. I wish I was a more honourable music geek and could just cite this kind stuff off the top of my head, but alas I am not. I have shamed you, Rob Gordon.

No comments: